Sunday 27 January 2013

Bites Of The Week


2girls1cake HQ have been pretty busy over the last week and with so much wisdom to impart, we thought a rundown of the latest places we’ve popped into would be handy. First up…

Lena - [Italian]

It had been a late night in the office and we fancied some hearty Italian grub close by in Shoreditch. Lena has been pretty quiet of late, which is a shame as it’s not a bad little restaurant. They serve traditional Italian food in a very modern setting (some might say a bit too modern for the style of food.)


I opted for Italian white bean soup with garlic and croutons to start. I normally prefer my soups with some bite but this bad boy was pureed to death. l can't deny it was very tasty, it's just a shame it was luke warm. There were chunks of soft garlic lurking at the bottom which were not only a surprise in a soup as glossy as this, but welcomed. I could have had it in a cup with a straw otherwise. Over all, not bad. For my main I went for Melazane alla Parmaigiana (aubergine, mozzarella, tomato sauce, parmesan) which was lovingly homemade and if it had been hot, would have been delicious. We ordered a side of rosemary potatoes which never made an appearance (even though we asked for them) which was disappointing. I can’t help wondering if the service and attention to detail is the reason people aren't coming here anymore, or if the staff have simply given up. It’s a shame as the food has potential. The meal deal posters are up outside which suggests things aren't looking good… 

@lena_shoreditch


Bistrot Bruno Loubet  - [French]

One half of us at 2girls1cake HQ is a big Bruno Loubet fan (the other (me) isn't so fond of French cuisine). I thought I would give it a shot. With credentials such as being  awarded young chef of the year back in ’85 and having worked with the likes of Raymond Blanc as Head Chef at Michelin-starred Manoir aux Quat’Saisons as well as head chef stints at The Four Seasons & Inn on the Park (where he earned his first Michelin star) who wouldn't be sucked in? The impressive list goes on but let’s skip to 2009 when Bistrot Bruno Loubet at The Zetter Hotel, took centre stage. 
....And now, here I am at its doors willing to get my French on.



I was here for an after work dinner and the restaurant was pretty quiet, as was Clerkenwell, mysteriously. The thing I noticed first was the lack of music – and with a restaurant that was fairly sparse, a little background noise might have helped the atmosphere. I opted for beetroot ravioli, rocket salad, fried breadcrumbs and parmigiana to start which I cannot fault. It was absolutely delicious (and for me, far away enough from French for me to eat it. No cream in sight = happy Kelly).



For my main I went for pan fried fillet of sea bream with provençal tian and tomato relish. The fish was cooked beautifully but the rest wasn't much to write home about. Would I go again? Absolutely, I’m hoping it was just a quiet night and with a few wines in me (I was not drinking due to #dryjan) it might help things. Should I have to be steaming drunk to enjoy a restaurant? Probably not, but a little vino and a second go at this menu is something I want to give a shot.

@TheZetter

PICK OF THE WEEK
Dishoom Shoreditch - [Indian]


Where to start? We are 100% in love -never looking back -would give our first born to the owners for a bowl of calamari-in love. Tucked away in Boundary Street (opposite the lovely Albion Café) is the second offering from Shamil Thakrar. 

Dishoom is a Bombay Café designed for all day dining. You can pop in for a chai and a snack or a full sit down dinner. The restaurant is beautiful and the staff are attentive and really know their menu. I have been in to eat about 10 times since it opened and often pop in en route to work for an egg naan (the best breakfast you will ever eat) and a chai. 

Key dishes to get stuck into are:

Chole Frankie (a wrap of sorts with spiced chickpeas, herbs and pickled vegetables with some amazing chutney).

Chilli cheese toast – which is as it sounds, and a lovely naughty snack.

Biryani – amazing, but very filling. Not advised for a snack!

Masala Prawns – Charred on the BBQ, chunky and full of flavour.

Dishoom Slaw – Shredded cabbage bursting with pomegranate seeds, to cool your mouth down.

Gunpowder Potatoes and the Black House Daal are a bit of Bombay heaven too.

But the clear winner, the one we think about no matter what time of day or night, the one we already know we are ordering before we have set foot in the place has to be the calamari. Hands down, this is the best calamari I have ever had. It’s coated in a grainy crunchy crumb, quick fried with ‘dishoom drizzle’ – whatever that is? To be honest, it could be the tears of a thousand abused kittens and we would still go for it. Amazing.



This place has a casual setting that feels a bit more fabulous as the sun sets on Shoreditch. 



The eastern inspired cocktail list is a corker too, our favorites being the Bombay pimms (made with ginger beer instead of lemonade) and the Chilli martini – well, just because. Roll on February (I’m not drinking this month) so I can get stuck into the cocktail list again!

@dishoomlondon







No comments:

Post a Comment