Saturday 13 April 2013

Les morsures de la semaine, le style de Paris


Me and the girls packed our bags and headed off to Paris for a weekend of culture, food and wine (lots of.)



We were staying in the Montmarte district (loosely translated as The Mountain of the Martyr – Saint Denis was decapitated on the hill around 250 AD for being stubborn it seems….) The district is full to bursting with artists and their studios and once upon a time, Dali, Monet and Picasso roamed these streets. That’s a bit good, no?

Anyway, back to the point – the nosh. Let’s just say that the idea of French food, never really fills me with joy. I don’t eat meat (just fish) and I run for the hills at the sight of buerre blanc or any creamy sauces. I like cream on strawberries, not slathered all over my main course.

It’s fair to say, my experiences with French food haven’t been great to far, so I was game for trying some new things and getting involved with some of the local treats.

First up…

Le Progrès



A classic French bistro a hop, skip and a jump from the Sacré-Cœur in Montmartre. The restaurant is cosy and very classic, serving a range of French food. I opted for fish soup with a side of Escargot (we had to try it!) 

The soup was hearty, pungent and making everyone in the room gawk at it as it left the kitchen. It was a bit on the large side (there must have been a minimum equivalent of 3-4 cans in the bowl) but it came served with large crunchy croutons and a little pot of Gruyère cheese on the side. Perfect.

The Snails were done to death in garlic (as you would expect) so I couldn’t really tell you what the snail itself tasted like, but in all honesty, I think that’s for the best. It was very similar to a mussel and was very pleasant.



Good for: All day dining, relaxed long dinners or a quick bite at lunch.
Where to find it: 7 rue des Trios Freres, 75018 Paris (Nearest Metro is Abesses)
£: Major bang for your buck - I think we spent 30 Euros each on 2 courses and a couple of bottles of wine.
Eye candy behind the bar: Ladies, just trust me.

Next up and this weeks winner!

L’Annexe

Tucked away on the hills of Montmarte, among a plethora of restaurants, bars and bistros, is a little shop front, painted red. 



We had passed a ton of places, all either suspiciously empty or so full we would have had to sit on top of each other.

We went in, and there is probably only 30 covers in the entire place. It’s very cosy and intimate, with tables that are almost joined they are so close. (Myself and my best friend like a bit of space and privacy when we go out to eat, so we were feeling a bit claustrophobic at first, wedged between two other tables…..)



Once we had sunk a bottle or two of wine though, we were best mates with the people on either side so we soon forgot how close together we all were.



So, let’s talk food. For my starter I opted for poached egg on leeks with sesame vinaigrette. Not much to write home about, you might think? This was easily one of the nicest starters I have had in a very long time. Simple and fresh with a sesame twist. It was served on a huge slab of slate too, which looked fantastic.



Next up – the main course. Now, I was a bit naughty here as the menu wasn’t very vegetarian friendly (apart from risotto, but I’d rather eat wall paper paste!) I had back of cod, orange marmalade and chorizo sauce served with quinoa. Annoyingly, I was so taken with it, I forgot to take a picture. I’m not going to lie, the mix of flavours wasn't exciting me much and the idea of removing one element (the meat!) didn’t seem like the right thing to do when it seemed like such a strange concoction. It arrived, presented beautifully on a circle of quinoa. The fish, lovingly placed on top and with a little blobs of the orange and chorizo marmalade on either side of the plate…but wait, what was that thing on top? No. It can’t be? Is that…is that SQUIRTY CREAM plonked on top! Now, I know I have an issue with the French and their love of cream, but this was taking the biscuit. Just so we are clear, there is only one use for squirty cream, and that is THIS:


Really, you should only sink to these lows if you've been dumped, Bridget Jones style....or in my case, just your average Friday night.

“I’m going in…” – it turns out, this ‘squirty cream’ was homemade, not from a can and was in fact some sort of peppery savoury wonder. All was forgiven...

The fish and quinoa was cooked perfectly and was full of flavour. I tasted a couple of slithers of the chorizo (just for good measure, you understand!) and even though the idea of orange and fish was a bit alien to me, it was absolutely delicious. I cleared my plate, which to anyone who knows me, knows is rare.

For dessert we got one of everything to have a taste. There was crème brulee, coffee mousse with a surprise spoon and chocolate foam with a ‘taste explosion’.

The crème brulee was perfect and had a secret layer of hazelnut praline at the bottom. The chocolate foam was served in gorgeous little jam jars, on a chalkboard tray. The explosion was popping candy – which to four wine drunk women, was basically the best thing that had ever happened to us.




The coffee mousse was the only one I was slightly disappointed with. It had formed some sort of skin on top which  wasn’t easy to eat and the ‘surprise’ was what can only be described as sugar puffs – it tasted ok, but if I didn’t know, I wouldn’t have thought coffee was the main player!



All in all, a fabulous evening, amazing wine, friendly staff and some of the most beautifully presented food I’ve had in a long time. Hats off to you L’Annexe - you're our top bite in Paris!

Good for: Dinner and drinks
Where to find it: 13 Rude des 3 Freres 75018 Paris



No comments:

Post a Comment