Thursday 26 April 2012

Legendary Dumplings at Dumplings Legend, Gerrard Street, China Town.


My favourite girl shaped American and I, headed out of the comfort of the East End, into a cab and up to the West End. Now, I had been warned that the place I was being taken lacked a certain, um…je ne sais quoi, but I didn’t let that put me off as the places with less sparkle, tend to have the best non-poncy food.

Dumplings Legend stands tall in the centre of China Town on Gerrards Street, and at first glance, really doesn’t look like anything special. We went fairly early as we had a curfew (put in place to stop binge drinking) and as you walked in, if you didn’t know you were in China Town, you would probably think you had taken a wrong turn into a dental surgery. The entrance is very clinical and the further you go into the dining area, the more you realise, this restaurant doesn’t want anything colourful to upset the mood…which is, lacking somewhat. As you walk through the first section of the dining room, there is a little glass style box with a couple of people making fresh dim sum before your very eyes. It’s pretty cramped and actually, a little bit weird, but it’s nice to know it’s made on site and the makers, wear gloves and hair nets. Hairy dim sum is not an experience I wish to get involved with again.



The menus are adorned with pictures of food (that I can only assume they found on the internet and infact, this is one of my pet hates, but I took this one in my stride) The tables are laid with paper table cloths, because, let’s face it, you’re going to get messy, especially with Xiu Loung Bao on the menu. Now, if you’re pulling the ‘WTF?’ face, then let me give you a briefing. Xiu Loung Bao is a style of dim sum that contains a layer of broth inside the casing. You bosh it on a soup spoon, pop some vinegar and ginger on top of it, and then plop it in your mouth for what can only be described as a taste sensation. (Yes, I went there, embrace it.) Oh, if you’re weird about textures, I’d go for this in two bites, because honestly, I really wasn’t sure what was about to happen. It’s like that moment when the hairdresser spins you around smiling and the mirror (of doom) starts rising behind your head…..anyway, you get the picture. They come with a variety of fillings, but my yankee-doodle dandy and I went with the vegetarian option. Delicious.



We didn’t stop there. Oh no. We got a few varieties in, including prawn and I can honestly say, it’s some of the best dim sum I’ve ever had. Ping Pong, you should be ashamed.

We had a couple of glasses of vino, that tasted like a heady mix of Robinson’s fruit squash and vinegar, but let me tell you something, this shit was potent. 2 glasses down and we were both feeling a bit fruity.

So, overall….Do the staff ask your how you are 50 times before you’ve had your starter (or at all?) No (thank god). Do they give a shit about anything but getting you in and getting you out? Not one iota. However, what Dumplings Legend lacks in charm and sparkling service, it certainly makes up for with it delicious food and freshly prepared dim sum. This really is a hidden gem. Not to be missed. I’m going back next week….


 

No comments:

Post a Comment